Friday, June 28, 2013

What an Emotional Week + Pictures

My mission has officially turned me into a bawl baby... this week was President Christianson's last week here in the New York Rochester Mission. I cried so much!  He will be switching off the keys to President Francis in a few days.  I am sad he and Sister Christianson are leaving... I have served with them as my leaders for the majority of my mission and they've seen me go through everything that has made me into the missionary I am today.  I am excited to meet President Francis too though. I know I am still here serving when he is coming because I have more to learn.  I am excited to learn from him and get to know he and his family. 

We had site meeting that President and Sister Christianson got the entire time to teach us.  It was SO GOOD.  President told us stories about running away as a boy and hiding in the horse trailer and coming home smelling like crap haha.  He also told us a time when he was on top of a mountain with his horse and was lost so he let the horse have his head and lead him back to camp. (the horse always knows where to find the grain) It made me so happy to listen to it, not just because I love our horses and spending time out with them and Dad, but because President Christianson tells the most entertaining, funny stories and then somehow ties them into power gospel applications.  If you were wondering, yes, I did cry.  But President said he comes to Arizona to visit Sister Christianson's side of the family and he will see me for sure.  That made me feel good. 

This week we went and ate dinner at Brother and Sister Becker's house.  It was so fun! Their dinner appointments are always crazy with a lot of laughing.  When we get there each time their dog, Wharf, runs as fast as he can in a figure eight motion around the room.  This dog has the shortest legs I have ever seen so it really is quite the sight.  As he started to calm down he came to me and I started petting him and he peed on my shoe!  The Beckers felt so bad but I just laughed.  We put my shoe in the sink and rinsed it off and it is fine!  So now the Beckers joke with me and tell me I am the chosen one because Wharf marked me. It was great because the next day we went to the temple as cast trainers before our cast training meeting and the Beckers were there!  Haha it was funny to see them the next day and then have Sister Becker whisper to me "you are the chosen one".  It was so hard not to bust up laughing. The temple was great. Yes, I cried there too. 

We went to the Seneca Lake Girls' Camp this week to teach a lesson with the 4th levels!  It was a blast!  They were a stake from Pennsylvania and they were just good girls.  The lesson we taught them was about "dare to stand alone".  We taught it all four of us together,  Sisters Tipton, Szuch, Rosemore, and I. It went really well.  Instead of a lesson we made it more of a discussion and the girls really opened up.  The Spirit was very strong and it was cool knowing we were teaching right where the first baptisms were performed right after the Church was organized.  As I shared my testimony at the end I noticed some of the girls crying and I teared up too (surprise, surprise).  I hope what we discussed and shared helped them. Afterwards we ate lunch with them and so many of them came up to us wanting our picture and asking us questions and telling us their desire to serve a mission.  It was so fun to be with them and remember what a fun, crazy, yet spiritual experience girls camp is. 

This week we had early morning meetings with Sister Cottam from the Missionary Dept. for the visitors' centers.  We had to have all four of us showered, ready, and out the door by 6 a.m. because the meetings started at 7 a.m. sharp in Palmyra at the Hill Cumorah VC. Then because of our site meeting and our shift at the Hill Cumorah we got home around10:15 p.m. each night. Two late nights and early mornings in a row was definitely interesting.  By the time we were driving home last night all of us were not thinking straight we were so tired-- but we did have some good slap happy moments.  We got 5 buses at once at the Hill Cumorah VC. 350 people all on tour... How we pulled that off with the way our brains were functioning?  I will never know.  All I know is that the Spirit obviously quickened our minds so we could do it. And for that I am grateful. 

Did you all watch the worldwide leadership training on Sunday?  That was the first time in the history of the Church the prophets and apostles have let us in on the mission presidents' seminar and made it a worldwide thing.  So if you didn't watch it you should.  It was so good!  It was crazy to be watching it in the very place the Church began and was organized.  As I watched I was overwhelmed with gratitude for the opportunity the Lord has given me to serve a mission.  My heart was filled and it brought tears to my eyes. (told you... I'm a cry baby now!) Something I realized as I was watching is that our purpose as missionaries is to "invite others to come unto Christ by helping them receive the restored gospel."  Well, that is the same thing every member of the Church should be doing!  Heavenly Father has one thing He is doing.  In Moses 1:39 it says, "For behold, this is my work and my glory-- to bring to pass the immortality and eternal life of man."  I'm sure I have probably shared this with you and you've read it multiple times as I have... but the gravity of this scripture hit me this week.  God isn't just twiddling his thumbs!  He is doing everything He possibly can to get all of His children home to Him.  That the the ONLY thing He wants.  That's it. It goes back to the most popular scripture in all the Christian world... John 3:16.  "For God so loved the world that He gave His only Begotten Son."  Anything that is worth it is paid for in advance.  Haven't we been paid for in advance?  Wasn't the atonement "prepared from the foundation of the world" (Alma 18:39)?  Oh yes it was!  I know that is true. This is the work of God.  He needs us- every single one of us to help Him help His children back home. And being able to help him with that has been the most humbling, rewarding, most exciting thing I have ever done.  And you don't need to wear a nun skirt and a black Jesus tag to do it :)  Today's Prophet and Apostles have reaffirmed President David O. Mckay's statement: "Every member a missionary."  Wow that was a long spiritual rant, I just have such a fire and love for this work.  It is so fun and so happy, and it feels so good to be exactly where God wants you doing His work. 

Sunday night we went to Sister Andrew's house and watched "Finding Faith in Christ" with Pamela.  She is doing really good and is letting the gospel bring light and joy back in her life.  Well when we watched the movie, again I fell to pieces. (so embarrassing...) I felt so much gratitude for the Savior and His Atonement.  I know He lives and the atonement is real. It has helped me more than I can even say.

I love you all SO MUCH!  I promise even though I was a wimp and my tear ducts were acting up this week, I am SO HAPPY.  I love it here in upstate NY.  Hope you all have a great week!  Tell Christiaan I say hi when we see him at his homecoming talk!

Love, Sister Adams

Look at my cool cheetah toes! Thanks Mom! don't mind my "nasty on your feet all day sister missionary feet."


After President and Sister Christianson' s last site meeting with us!


Me and my companion and roommates on the Hill Cumorah!  They already have the lighting towers up for Pageant!



No comments:

Post a Comment