Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Week Five: First Full Week In NEWARK, NY!!


HEY FAMILY! Today is my official p-day. We don’t get a lot of time to teach our investigators because I have been called to be a cast trainer for the Hill Cumorah pageant coming up. That along with working the sites and morning program keeps me busy busy busy!  So today we taught a lesson to one of our friends, Charlene. We brought along the ward missionaries, Elder and Sister Fowler, to help us and when we don’t have time, they will go teach her. That way she can learn and progress more quickly- she is so ready for the Gospel it is not even funny! The Lord has prepared her and her heart is open and ready to receive it! The Fowlers are AWESOME. They are such powerhouses and have a lot in common with Charlene so I am glad we brought them in.  Thank goodness for the awesome members here that step in when we site sisters get so busy. I am so honored to be a cast trainer! I get to work with the cast members and teach them how to be missionaries here at the pageant! It’s like we have our own little MTC, and I get to be a teacher! How great is that?!!?

Oh before I forget here is my address for my house that I will be living in for the next 11 weeks:
529 W Miller Street #1
Newark, NY 14513

So funny story… well it wasn’t funny at the time, but it is now. My straightener got stolen at the MTC. (that was totally messed up!) And I was so upset about it. But I realized that Satan used whoever took it to get to me and make me angry. So I decided to brush it off and not let Satan make me lose the Spirit. Now that I am in New York I don’t think I will ever need to use a straighener… it is so humid and wet here. My hair is so CURLY! Even if I did straighten it, I’m pretty sure it would be curly by the end of the day. So no worries about that one!

This first week was so amazing. I got to work at the Book of Mormon Publication Site (we call it the BOMPS) twice, the Smith Farm twice, and the Hill Cumorah once. I am already giving tours on my own! Sister Barrus taught me well! But working the sites can be really intense! Not only do we have to know the information about the sites and the history of it, all dates and facts… but we have to also know Preach My Gospel and incorporate principles of PMG while touring people around the sites! It is so hard sometimes! My brain is so overloaded with information, but luckily the Spirit has helped me learn everything and remember it! It is intense trying to get to know our guests and discern their needs, meet their needs, and help build their faith in Jesus Christ, through telling them about that site and the gospel! It is so much to do in such a short period of time. I just do the best I possibly can and the Lord fills in the gaps. It is really extraordinary.  By the end of each day I just crash! I could be sleeping on a rock and it wouldn’t matter because I am so tired. But I love it! And I am so happy! The other morning Sister Barrus and I went to our shift at the Smith Farm early so that we could go for a walk in the Sacred Grove. I was feeling kind of stressed, nervous, and tired; but through prayer and feeling the Spirit that resides there at the Grove totally fixed it. KNOWING that God the Father and Jesus Christ appeared there to Joseph Smith brings so much peace.  Once you set foot on the grounds there is no doubt in your mind that it happened right here. You can FEEL it so strongly and it is such a wonderful, happy feeling. President says that we are the #1 mission in the world and that is because all the other missions testify and teach of what happened here in our mission. It is the cradle of the Restoration! It is such a special place, and I am honored to be here to serve.

I didn’t get a chance to read your email, and I am so sorry about that! I just don’t have time. But I am going to print it out and reply to you in a letter today. As for calling for Mothers Day… I  am not sure what my schedule is- but I am allowed to call you Saturday night to set up a time to call you on Sunday.  So Saturday have your phones right by you so we can set up a time for Mothers Day! I love you all so so so much! Thank you for all our love and prayers. Family, you guys are the BOMB. Keep smiling and sharing your testimonies! LOVE LOVE LOVE 

Sister Adams

No comments:

Post a Comment