Monday, August 5, 2013

I Got Transferred!!

SHOCKER:  I have six weeks left of my mission and I got transferred out to the Buffalo Zone!  Right now I am companions with Sister Hovey.  She is from Idaho, Twin Falls area-  and I am also training a new missionary who is waiting for her visa to go to Brazil.  Her name is Sister Huntington and she is from Georgia, Atlanta area.  We have a really fun trio going on.  And Sister Hovey and I are currently learning Portuguese from and with Sister Huntington to keep her language skills up. Our area is called Grand Island. If you were floating down the Niagara River, it is the largest island you could land on before you fall off the Falls. Our area is Grand Island, North Tonawanda, and a little bit of Niagara. We attended the Niagara Falls Ward for the first time yesterday.  This week has been quite the adventure and so much fun.  My p-day is now Mondays because I am full-proselyting -- no shifts at the historic sites.  We are flushing the area so both the elders left and now the three of us are here. We were given a GPS to use, which has saved us from getting lost and helped us to find some really good NY pizza and Buffalo wings. (you gotta have buffalo wings in Buffalo!) 

There haven't been sisters in this area for over 8 years so people keep freaking out that they are seeing sister missionaries- it's pretty funny. I had so many old ladies come up and talk to me in relief society and some of the less-actives that have called us are really confused.  Some of the recent converts in the ward called our phone thinking it was the elders and got a "Hello this is Sister Adams!"  Immediately the woman on the phone went, "females?"  I explained to her that there are sister or "girl" missionaries and she started screaming to her husband, "Females!! Females!! Robert they are females!"  I almost died laughing.  Finally I found out that their names are Brother and Sister Fleck and we went and taught them a lesson and got to know them a little bit.  Elder Adams served here when I was a new missionary and because I might be related to him they are obsessed with me.  Elder Adams was the best man in their wedding and baptized them.  So when they prayed they told Heavenly Father how excited they were that "Sister Adams is here with her comrades." Haha oh boy I love them so much.  Sisters Hovey, Huntington and I have met so many interesting people here and every time I am getting to know someone new I feel like I am in a movie or something.  Seriously, everyone is so dynamic and has a crazy life story.  It has been a long week, but definitely busy, and DEFINITELY entertaining. 

We visited Jerry this week and he used to be a clown so before we left his house he made each of us a balloon animal, whatever animal we wanted!  It was impressive how fast he busted those out.  I got a little tiger.  We also met a woman named Jaroldine and her house was filled with books.  Floor to ceiling. And she had read them all.  We decided to walk to her house to save miles but didn't realize it was a little over three miles away.  It was a nice walk but took a little longer to get there than we thought.  So she drove us back to where our car was parked and she had this HUGE old van. The chairs in the back were like lazy boy huge and there where curtains over the windows and everything.  All three of us sisters could probably live in it, it's that big.  Jaroldine had a stroke not to long ago so we were nervous of her driving...but she insisted on driving us so we just said a little prayer in our hearts and we made it back to the car safely. 

Our church building is 30 minutes away so that will take some adjusting.  At the Whitmer I was just across the parking lot!  But I love it out here in Grand Island.  The people are so great.  It is weird not being at the sites but it is a nice change and I am loving it!  I love you all very much! 

Here's my new address:
56 Klaum Ave
North Tonawanda, NY 14120

Love, Sister Adams

No comments:

Post a Comment