Monday, September 3, 2012

Heyyooooooo ( I never know what to put for the Subject line)

This week has been LEGIT! So many people are taking boat tours up the Erie Canal right now. It is fun because we drive right by the Erie Canal everyday and get to see them! Then they come to the sites and we get to teach our guests of other faiths about the restored Gospel! It is so fun! I've had some great experiences at the historic sites even though they are slowing down a bit.
We got to see Bethany this week! She got all set up for college and came back for one last weekend in Sodus.  We met her at the temple after our shift at the Smith Farm. It was so nice to walk the grounds with her and feel the Spirit that is there.  She is just wonderful. I hope she gets baptized soon as the other missionaries teach her.
We had a zone meeting this week and watched this AWESOME talk by Elder Bednar. He gave it at Christmas time at the MTC. I'm pretty sure this talk has changed my life. He talked about character and the character of Christ. He said, "Character is strongly developed, strikingly displayed, and consistently lived moral qualities."  I LOVED that. I realized that we all just need to get over ourselves. Seriously! Why do we feel bad for ourselves? Why do we let what other people do get us down? Why do we focus on ourselves? Why are we all giving into the natural man? The natural man is an ENEMY to God. To develop Christlike attributes the first step is putting off the natural man and putting others first, no matter what happens. Think about Jesus Christ, who He is, the Atonement, and all the events that happened around Him suffering on Gethsemane and dying on Calvary. His chief apostles fell asleep when all He asked was if they would stay awake for Him. Did He get upset or let that stop Him from doing what He knew He had to do? No. After suffering for the pains and sins of the world He was betrayed by one of His own... Peter, trying to defend Jesus draws his sword and cuts the high priest servant's ear off. Jesus tells him to put the sword away and then He heals the guy's ear! The guy who is taking Him and binding Him! He is already suffering pain no mere mortal could live through and yet, He still turns outward. Just details like that- we forget to pay attention to them when we learn of the Savior in the scriptures. There are tons more and they show who He is, His true character. He NEVER thought of Himself. He was the complete opposite of the natural man.  How can we turn outward as the Savior did? The thing is, we can't put off the natural man on our own. We need His help, because in His strength we can do all things. In Mosiah 3:19 it says "...putteth off the natural man and becometh a saint through the atonement of Christ the Lord." THROUGH the Atonement, we can recieve the strength to become more like Him. To turn outward, think of others and their needs, and realize what is really important. We will never find ourselves on our own by focusing on ourselves.  We will find ourselves as we forget ourselves and rely on the Lord.
Something else really amazing this week was our Grove Tour with Bob. He took Sister Butters and I on her first Grove Tour! Each and everytime he takes us around I learn so much.  I already appreciate the Sacred Grove, but when he shows it to us, I feel like a grow closer to God, not just because He was there, but because He teaches me through the Spirit with His creations. The very next day, Bob invited us on a Temple walk with him.  There is a trail that goes all around the Palmyra Temple and you can see the original rock wall that the Smith Family built to line their farmlands. What an experience that was. I felt so connected to the Smith Family as I learned of the work they did and saw right before my eyes the quality and care they put into it. Bob also showed us the two wells that still exist that the Smith Family dug themselves. That was cool. I feel so fortunate to be here, but especailly to be invited by Bob to learn more and really connect with the people who were here in Book of Mormon times and in the early 1800s. I just can't even believe it sometimes. I feel like I need someone to pinch me so I can wake up. But it is me! And I am here! It is so crazy! I love it!
Well I love you all and thank you for the update on everyone. YAY Dance Barn is open! Exciting! Tell Dad he does not need another little colt! He still is breaking the two we already have! I am excited to ride them one day :) I miss you, but as you can probably tell I am loving my mission. I have never been so happy in my life! XOXO

Love,
Sister Adams

No comments:

Post a Comment