Tuesday, December 11, 2012

From the Seneca Lake Girls Camp

Hi Family! I am emailing you from the Seneca Lake Girls Camp today!  It is only 15 minutes away from the Whitmer Farm and the senior couple down here, Elder and Sister Brienholt, are so awesome.  It is so beautiful and peaceful here I wish you could see it. This place is so special. Many of the early saints where baptized right here in this lake.  Thank you for all the pictures! I got a lot from you and Keri. It was so fun to see my dance girls!!!! Oh my gosh I just wanted to cry looking at them in their cute costumes they are so beautiful! Please give them all a hug for me.  And Erika's winter formal dress and hair and make-up... big thumbs up. I loved that the dress was modest. I am proud of her for not going into the gray area of what modest is or not.  SFTAR!!! ahaha Mom, you will know what that is.  I also got emails from Grandma. It was good to hear from her. I am worried about Grandpa and his cancer, but I know the Lord is looking out for him. I pray for him each day... Grandma told me he still goes out and takes care of the horses and cows and  rides too. Haha typical Grandpa- nothing stops him.

This week was great. Our Christmas decor is officially up! I love it... makes it more like home. I am adjusting better to the new area and people. The first week I didn't sleep at all. I don't know why... but I got a huge sty on my eye. I looked like the hunchback of Notre Dame or the guy on the "Goonies" who goes... "Heyyyy youuuuu guyyyyyys!!!" I reenacted that for Sister Earl a few times and she laughed really hard. The sty is now gone and I don't look like an ogre so it is all good.  Sister Earl's birthday was this last Friday. We celebrated by having birthday breakfast down here with the Brienholts and we also made an apple crisp instead of a cake. It was delish. The apples in New York are better than anywhere else. We worked at the Smith Farm that day and I took a tour! That is a rare occasion now with the cold weather.  They were a couple from San Diego out here on business and wanted to see the Smith Farm before they headed back.  It was such a spiritual tour.  We just clicked.  We talked about the atonement and overcoming weaknesses through Jesus Christ.  Their business is doing interventions for people who are addicted to various substances. They both have experienced spiritual healing from the atonement of those issues and now they are helping others do the same.  They were great people and I was glad I got to share in that experience with them. It is so true. Anything we struggle with in this life has been paid for. We just have to make the choice to let go of the things that keep us far from God and start doing those things that bring us nearer to Him. I know that He loves us and wants to help us and through Him our weaknesses will become strengths. 

After our shift at the Smith Farm Sister Earl and I walked through the Sacred Grove for her birthday.  And guess who we ran into in the Grove? BOB! It was fun to get to walk with him and feel the spirit of that sacred ground. It was dark so we couldn't see much... and hardly any words were spoken. But to be able to go and walk and just feel was an experience I will never forget. We got to one of the highest points in the Grove and we could see the temple lit up through the trees... it was really special.  

We also had the ward Christmas party that night.  It was really fun! Afterwards we stayed and did dishes until the bitter end. Whoever had the idea to use real dishes for everyone... bad idea, but it was good. I don't mind doing dishes. I also met Jessica and Brandon and their family this week. They are so great. They live in Waterloo and have been meeting with missionaries for 6 years. The only thing holding them back is that they are not married.  They have four kids and come to church regularly.  Six years is enough. I am so determined to get them wet and make them official. 

 We had some disappointing times this week with people not showing up to appointments. But we got to see Bill and Beverly again! Bill said that before he joined the Church he called the Mormon Tabernacle Choir, "The Mormon Talley-Wacker Choir" ahah. I thought that was pretty funny. He could never think of the word 'tabernacle'. We went to Mary's this week with her home teachers to make that transition. It was good and she really clicked with her home teachers. I love it when the ward and the missionaries work together in missionary work.  That is when miracles happen. The Fayette Ward is great. It is so cool I get to go to church where the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints was organized! I still can't get over it. 


So for Christmas... I really want to Skype you guys :) so let me know what you want to do. I still don't know what time probably in the afternoon/evening here. But I think we are three hours ahead of you here... so we will figure that out next week. I love you Mom, Dad, and Erika! Thank you for all of your prayers they are needed and I can feel them :) Make it a good week and I will too!
Love,
Sister Adams

No comments:

Post a Comment