Thursday, August 9, 2012

MY FIRST BAPTISM

Hi Mom! Just read your email and it sounds like your summer has been BOMB! I would be jealous but I am so happy here doing the Lord's work! How fun that Greg and Tim and their families are going to San Diego too! Give them all a huge hug for me! I saw Cory and Deb and Dal John, Maddie, and Ally Jo at the Hill Cumorah Visitors' Center. I took them on tour and talked to them for a while. It was fun! I got some good stories first hand from the Big Lake reunion! Hahaha I was laughing so hard. I LOVE our family! Never a dull moment. I was going to take them on tour at the Book of Mormon Publication Site the next day but my shift ended at two and they couldn't get there until a little after two so it didn't work out.  I was really upset about it at first but they must have needed to hear one of the other sisters' testimony that day- so it happened the way it was supposed to. The cool thing about families that come and visit the historic sites is that not only is it a fun vacation but you get closer to Jesus Christ when you come here.  The Gherkins and I had a really good spiritual experience in the Christus room at the Hill. I felt the Spirit so strong and it was a wonderful opportunity to teach and testify to my own family. 

This last Sunday I got my first baptism!  Lindsay was baptized by Logan Graham on Sunday and the whole thing went PERFECTLY.  The Spirit was there in abundance and Lindsay said that she felt like she was "buzzing on the inside" haha she is so cute. She told me that it was like "that part on a roller coaster when you get to the top, and you are right about to drop and your heart pounds, except it's not scary." Even though her parents are not interested in the Church, they came to support Lindsay.  That meant a lot to her, and afterall, they raised her to be the awesome girl that she is today. Sister Barrus and I sang the musical number.  I can't sing as high as Sister Barrus can so I made up my own harmony and wrote it in the music to make it a duet. I didn't know I was capable of doing that but it worked out great!  Sister Butters played the piano for us and it all pulled together nicely even with our lack of time to practice. I still can't believe we even had the time to teach Lindsay with Pageant and everything that went on.... man, just makes you realize God is in control and He makes things happen when they need to.  Lindsay will be going to University of Buffalo this fall and found the singles ward she will attend there and met some of the people in that ward too. Who knows, maybe after I train I will get transferred out there to Buffalo and be with Lindsay again! 

I need to introduce you to Sister Butters! I am training Sister Butters and she is a rock star. I just love her to pieces. She is been here just a week and she is rockin' it.  She is from North Salt Lake, UT and attended University of Utah for journalism before the mission.  She wrote for Deseret News too! She was in the same MTC branch with Sister Carolyn Kindt and met her there too! So that was fun! Our companionship is great.  We are in a trio right now with Sister Barrus for just one more week and then Sister Barrus is going home and going off to school at BYU-I. We work extra hard but we also laugh and have fun too :) We drove to Rochester twice this week for new missionary meetings and had Panera Bread both times :) So it was a good week! We don't have any restaurants worth going to in Newark so that was a treat. 

The sites have slowed down so we can actually give people good tours. Peagent is so crazy that people have to get the abbriviated version of tours.  During the Hill Cumorah Pageant we had roughly 65,000 people come through the historic sites. WOWWW. Now we are just contacting like crazy, meeting the people that referred themselves at the Pageant! It is giving us many opportunities to teach and it's awesome! 

Here is a cool quote that I heard this past week that I love about the New York Rochester Mission and Hill Cumorah Historic Sites: "What happened here changed the world. Let it change your life."  The restored Gospel of Jesus Christ is here. It is not going anywhere and will continue to spread until the Savior comes again.  Let it change your life. It has forever changed mine. I love you so much and pray for you always. 

XOXO, Sister Adams

No comments:

Post a Comment