Saturday, May 4, 2013

Another Transfer Almost Over...What???

This Sunday we should be getting transfer calls but Sister Tipton and I are probably staying together unless something crazy random happens. But I seriously doubt that.  Sister Raines is going home to North Carolina next Wednesday and I am so sad!  I am really going to miss her.  Last night the departing sisters gave their final testimonies in site meeting and all I could think about was how glad I was it wasn't me.  I love it here and I love being in the service of the Lord constantly.  Sister Szuch is getting a new missionary from the MTC and will be training her when I finish up the training program with Sister Tipton.  I am so excited for the events coming these next few months.  Pageant is coming!!! We start our meetings to prepare this month, practice all next month, and then July it is GAME TIME!!!! So stoked and getting pumped! 

We got the chance to go to the temple this week and it was something I really needed.  I feel so grateful that God sent me to a mission with a temple so that I can go and feel peace and remember who I am- a daughter of God.  Sometimes I feel like I am relearning primary lessons and it hits me and I think, "Whoa... I am a child of God!"  And I remember how significant that is and that I have a role to play in God's plan for us.  I hope that I can always live up to what God sees in me.  I know I cannot do it alone and that is why He gave us His Son, Jesus Christ.  So that we can become. 

Yesterday was a busy day!  We had all day to do proselyting work in Seneca Falls.  It was so pretty outside that we did our studies at the picnic tables behind our house.  Then we went out contacting and visiting some less-active members we are working with. We met this black guy named Craig as we were walking- he was just chilling on his porch.  So we struck up a conversation with him and taught him about the Book of Mormon.  He was SO FUNNY.  At one point he was asking us about what we do a missionaries and he said, "You two should be nuns, you would be great nuns."  I responded before I thought about what I should say and said, "Haha what! Why would we do that?!"  He laughed pretty hard, I didn't think it was that funny but I guess it was to him.  But it was good because then that led into how God wants us to have family and we are put in families because He loves us.  Anyway... I'm not sure how sober Craig was but he was nice!  He said he would read the Book of Mormon with his "girl" so we will see what happens. 

Sister Tipton and I taught Pamela yesterday and she is doing well.  She is really searching and has such a sincere desire to find out what God wants for her.  She has been reading her scriptures and praying and trying her hardest to quit smoking.  She did for a while but then she relapsed... it's okay she is getting there.  She is an amazing woman who has gone through so much in her life.  She is beginning to let go of the past and look to the future and how she can improve the quality of her life through living the gospel of Jesus Christ.  We had some really good break through's with her and I am excited to see her again. 

We had a special meeting this week with Don Enders and Gordon Madsen.  Don Enders is at the top of the ladder when it comes to Church History and he was the one over the restoration of the log and frame homes on the Smith Farm.  Gordon Madsen is the man over the legal papers in the Joseph Smith Papers project.  They were both here in Palmyra doing research for the Joseph Smith Papers and Elder Searle asked them on a whim to come and do a presentation.  IT WAS INCREDIBLE!  All of the things that they have found that prove and testify of what a great family the Smith's were and what a remarkable person Joseph Smith was.  Brother Madsen told us about some of the legal documents he has found with Joseph's name and dealing with him has been a marvelous experience.  Joseph was involved in over 200 court cases during the time the Church was being restored.  All have been proven to be false charges and many brought up by other preachers in the places he lived.  You can't tell me the adversary was trying to stop the work from progressing.  But Joseph was strong and had a supportive family and most importantly God was on their side.  He told us that some of the judges at the time said Joseph was one of the best lawyers they had seen because he had so much on the job training.  Haha I thought that was good.  Amazing how God took this ordinary, unlearned farm boy and used him as the instrument to restore His Church back to the earth for the last days.  Also, in the Articles of Faith it says, "We believe in being subject to kings, presidents, rulers, and magistrates, in obeying, honoring and sustaining the law."  Joseph gave his life in obeying and honoring the law by going to Carthage jail even though he did no wrong.  He stuck to his word, his beliefs and whatever the Lord said, Joseph obeyed.  He truly was the prophet to restore all things to the earth.  "Wherefore, I the Lord, knowing the calamity which should come upon the inhabitants of the earth, called upon my servant Joseph Smith Jun., and spake unto him from heaven, and gave him commandments." (D&C 1:17) I know this is true.  I know that God has always worked through prophets for the salvation of the children of men.  Just like in times of old God called a prophet to restore truth and priesthood authority to the earth.  I have such a testimony of Joseph Smith and I feel honored to serve in the places that he lived and did the work of the Lord. 

 I know this is God's work and that nothing can stop it from progressing.  I love being in the front row seat to see people learn about who they are, why they are here, and what they can become.  Seeing that light come into their eyes is worth it all.  This work is hard sometimes but hey, nothing that's worth it is ever easy.  That is why we do our best and press on.  And if we do that- God will be with us. "I will be on your right hand and on your left, and my Spirit shall be in your hearts, and mine angels round about you, to bear you up." (D&C 84:88)

I love you all very much! Have a wonderful week.
Love, Sister Adams

No comments:

Post a Comment